"Do one thing every day that scares you." Eleanor Roosevelt

Friday, July 6, 2012

101 Things to Do in 1001 Days: Goal 25


My quest continues to complete my list of 101 things.

Goal 25 is to journal daily a six word memoir about my life* . . . (for at least 30 consecutive days - 3 times during the 1001 days). I began the first block of this journal writing the day my daughter left for her summer adventure in India. "Meg to India. Miss her already."

Some days are easier than others. A specific event or emotion just needs to be the center of attention "Change ripples outward: splashes over me." Other days, ordinary days, I work through many possibilities to choose the right words. Sometimes, I try to go with the silly "Mani/Pedi. Fingernails: neutral. Toes: outrageous." For balance, I often try to be a bit more serious or profound "Parenting adult children. A learning process."

I'm an expansive writer so summarizing a full twenty-four hours (1,440 minutes)into six words is a challenge for me. One of the aspects I like about this challenge is that my whole life is showing up on the page - parenting, writing, family, risks, realizations, fears, friends, as well as the ordinary and boring. "Need to sleep; deep without dreams."

I'm learning that for me, there is something liberating, yet safe, in writing just six words. I find the writing a bit easier than it was when I began in May. Many days, it is even fun! I've gone longer than 30 days with this first block; I've adjusted the goal to journal the entire time my daughter is away (through the end of August).

And I'm doing it . . . day-by-day.


*See http://www.smithmag.net/sixwords

2 comments:

erin said...

I love the 101 in 1001 project! I am on my second one, although I've barely done anything on it since I started it (Oct 2011). I did a pretty good job with the first one, and I can't wait to dive into the second one now that I'm graduating. Writing a 6 word memoir daily must be so tough!

Donna said...

It is harder than I thought it would be . . . but good writing practice for me (as well as the discipline to do it every day!)