"Do one thing every day that scares you." Eleanor Roosevelt

Saturday, April 24, 2010

New Beginnings

I am a blogger. Welcome.

As this blogging adventure begins for me, I am also preparing for a travel adventure. In one week, I will visit my daughter who serves in the Peace Corps. She is located in Lesotho, a small nation in Africa. Next Friday, I will hug her for the first time in more than 17 months. I can't wait!

I am very curious about one aspect of this trip with my daughter. It will be our first opportunity to spend an extended period of time together as adult women. Obviously, she will be in charge of the trip as it is her world - her family, her friends, her home, her work, her meals, her plans. I, who love to be in control, will have little control. This is a profound shift for us. The change in roles, from just mother and daughter to adult women, will be something to experience. I'm not going to visit the recent college graduate who walked out the front door in 2008. Rather, I will visit a woman I don't know yet. I will meet this woman, my daughter, for the first time in her world, a world I know very little about.

As I am just passing by what Africa will offer me, I hope to capture some of the experience here in words and photographs. Follow along. Please leave a comment. I don't know what I will find. I don't know what will capture my heart or my soul, but walking side-by-side with my daughter, I know I am in for a journey of a lifetime.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I look forward to following your trip and will be interested to see where it goes. I also be interest to see how it evolves.

Karen the Book Lover said...

This is so natural for you. I am looking forward to hearing all about your trip and seeing photos of you and Meg as you explore the rich land of Africa and your adult daughter. And of the books you worked so hard to send to those who need them!

Donna said...

Karen, Thank you. The books -- you know seeing one of the established libraries will be moment that I won't forget.

Unknown said...

Congrats on the blog. I would most want to see a lion in its natural environment, so photos of that would be ideal and, of course, of you and Meg in her environment.

Donna said...

I will try to find a lion just for you.

Krista Richards Mann said...

I am looking forward to hearing both about your African adventures and your adventures of navigating the evolving relationship between mother and daughter. Godspeed.

meg said...

Hi Mom! I cannot wait for you to come- no lions in Lesotho but we will look in Tanzania!

Elizabeth Hilts said...

The adventure of Africa will be fascinating and I can't wait to read about it. More compelling for me, however, will be reading about this new stage of your relationship with your daughter—that's a situation and a story that will resonate with every mother and daughter.

Anonymous said...

Great Job!!!