"Do one thing every day that scares you." Eleanor Roosevelt

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

'Me' MaThato

Before I even arrive at my daughter's home, I have a new identity. 'Me' MaThato. It translates as "Mother of Beloved." When my daughter arrived in her village, she was given a new name, Thato, which means beloved. [I hope I've spelled it correctly]. I am honored to be 'Me' MaThato. For years, people would say to me "Oh, you're Meg's mom." So, it is a label I know well.

What is a name? I've never even had a nickname, so having a whole community call me by a new name will be strange. I am defined by who I am as Donna. I wonder what having a new identity will mean -- the possibilities are tantalizing.

Packed. One carry on suitcase, a pocketbook and a warm coat!
Ready to go . . .

No comments: