"Do one thing every day that scares you." Eleanor Roosevelt

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Love Letter



I wrote a love letter this morning. 

Given that today is Valentine's Day, acknowledging someone I love is not an odd activity.  But, perhaps, writing a two page letter is. 

Writing letters, for most, is a dead art. 

When I wrote my first love letter to this man, apart from a telephone call, there was no other way to stay in touch.  Communication was face-to-face, telephone calls, or letters.  How things have changed -- emails, Facebook, text messages, Skype, or Gchat are quick, efficient ways of talking to someone. Daily, I use several of these methods myself.

But, there is something special about receiving a piece of hand addressed, personal mail. My grandfather, Daniel O'Connor, was a postal worker as were two of his older brothers.  As sons of Irish immigrants, I imagine that a dependable government job was very appealing.  I know that the post office provided him steady work throughout the Great Depression.  I know he was proud of his career.

The USPS just announced that Saturday mail delivery will cease in August. Since 2010, there has been a 20% decline in 1st class mail. I am among 7 of 10 Americans who favor the change in delivery schedule as a way to deal with the USPS debt situation. And despite the recent postage stamp increase, I will continue to do my part to keep the system working. 

I mailed over 100 Christmas cards last December and sixteen Valentine cards last week. I sent a belated birthday card yesterday to my oldest friend - of more than 35 years.  I mailed a package to my son at college - there wasn't one necessity in it.  I exchange letters with my mother's two remaining cousins; they provide my last connection to my mother as a girl.

Beginning with a Mother -To-Be Mother's Day card (mailed in May of 1956) from my Aunt Margie to my mother, a card from my father when I was at college, notes that acknowledge joys and sorrows, through a Valentine's Day card I received yesterday, I have more than half-a-century of cards, notes, and letters that chronicle my life.

I understand the power of the written word.  I cherish the feel of a decades old card.  I smile when I see my name written on an envelope mixed in between junk mail, flyers, and bills in the mailbox. I will continue to write letters that document both the ordinary and the extraordinary events of life. 


3 comments:

princessapr said...

I love letters! I still get excited to receive mail and send it. I love buying stamps. I still send thank you notes and go through packs of those monthly. I also send approximately 100 Christmas cards and some assorted packages through the mail. I try to cut the number down, but it never reduces by much.

I work in an industry that relies heavily on the USPS so we follow the news closely. I think the USPS is set up to fail, and there are bigger issues that will never be addressed. It's just a unique agency. Packages will still be delivered on Saturday though so that should help recover some revenue. The post office is still processing the mail, too, so it shouldn't slow or affect delivery by too much. The fewer open offices and employees will affect the state of things much more.

Donna said...

Thank you.

I wish that every employee could remain in a position of value within the system. It is the people who make the experience of going to the post office so meaningful. Bob, at the place I use -- is the reason I go there. He knows who I am!

Donna said...

Not only did I receive a bright red envelope today . . . it contained a hand-made Valentine from a dear friend. I was thrilled! Thank you.